Atlanta’s Outer Line
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Atlanta’s Outer Line
- Location: Located at the west edge of Crestlawn Cemetery on Old Atlanta-Marietta Rd.
ATLANTA’S OUTER LINE
Johnston’s army [CSA] moved to this side of the river July 9-10, 1864. French’s div., Stewart’s A.C. was posted astride the R.R. to guard the left bank pending Federal crossings up river.
July 18. With the Federal advance S. to Peachtree Cr. Valley, French was shifted to Casey’s line of Atlanta at this point. With its left resting here, it was continued by other commands 5.5 mi. E. to Highland Ave., & S. 3.5 mi. to Leggett’s Hill in E. Atlanta – a total of 9 mi. It was occupied by 3 infantry corps & State Militia. The line was vacated July 22 – the troops falling back to the inner line.
060-87 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954