Atlanta Woman’s Club
- Source: Todd Massar
- Marker: Atlanta Woman’s Club
- Location: 1150 Peachtree Street, Atlanta
ATLANTA WOMAN’S CLUB
The Atlanta Women’s Club, organized November 11, 1895, was inspired by a council meeting in Atlanta of the General Federation of Women’s Clubs during the Cotton States and International Exposition. Mrs. Rebecca Douglas Lowe was founder and first president of this Club whose object is “threefold - social, literary and humanitarian.” On Oct. 27, 1896, the Atlanta Woman’s Club was hostess to organized women’s clubs in Georgia to form the State Federation. Meetings have been held at the home of the founder, the deGive Opera House, the Club’s first home at 17 Baker St. and the present clubhouse, purchased in 1919 and extensively enlarged since then.
060-149A GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956