Choose another Topic

Fulton County Historical Markers

Academy of Medicine


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Academy of Medicine
  • Location: 875 W. Peachtree St. N.W. in Atlanta

Academy of Medicine

Thirteen Atlanta physicians organized the Brotherhood of Physicians in 1854. After many location and name changes, the Brotherhood evolved into the Fulton County Medical Society, which dedicated the Academy of Medicine as its headquarters here on December 15, 1941. Medical Society members played a major role in health care for all Georgians, including advances in the treatment of pellagra, hookworm, tuberculosis, and venereal disease. Designed by Philip T. Shutze and R. Kennon Perry, the Academy of medicine is an outstanding example of Neoclassical architecture. The Medical Association of Atlanta directed restoration in 1932 and deeded the Academy to the Atlanta Medical Heritage to preserve it as a historic building.

2002.11

Erected by The Georgia Historical Society, The Medical Association of Atlanta, and Atlanta Medical Heritage, Inc.

60-3