Poplar Springs Methodist Camp Ground
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Poplar Springs Methodist Camp Ground
- Location: Ga 327 about 2.5 miles south of Jackson Bridge Road
POPLAR SPRINGS METHODIST CAMP GROUND
Camp meetings have been held here each year, from 1832, except four years during the War Between the States. The 50-acre plot, “extending one-half mile in every direction from the preacher’s stand,” was purchased from Daniel and Jacob Groover for $25 by William Hammons, John F. Wilson, George Shell, John B. Wade, Dennis Phillips, Thomas King and Rev. Nelson Osborne, Trustees. The first meeting, August 1832, was held under a brush arbor with 30 tents on the ground. Women were seated on one side of the arbor; men on the other. John W. Osborne, appointed usher, served at every meeting until his death in 1914.
059-5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957