Choose another Topic

Franklin County Historical Markers

Old Federal Road Historic District


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Old Federal Road Historic District
  • Location: Bond-Harber House on Ga 59 1/4 mile north of Ga 51

Old Federal Road Historic District

Development along Indian trails of the Old Federal Road began in the early 19th century to improve transportation between South Carolina and Tennessee. Although European settlement in this area began in the late 1700’s, the road increased populations and prompted the development of communities such as Nails Creek and Mt. Pleasant. Farms, trading posts, churches, schools, post offices and other services were established at each location. Homes associated with both communities remain along the Old Federal Road, many of which are owned by descendants of the early settlers.

1999.7

Erected by The Georgia Historical Society and the Franklin County Historical Society

59-2