Historical Franklin Springs
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Historical Franklin Springs
- Location: Spring St in Franklin Springs
HISTORICAL FRANKLIN SPRINGS
Site of the home of Rev. John Martin Turner, born September 12, 1891, and Mrs. Olivia Jackson Turner, born April 5, 1893, a teacher at Holmes College of the Bible. They were married July 7, 1920. The Turners were the first missionaries of the Pentecostal Holiness Church to India. They sailed October 31, 1920 and established the first church in Jasidih, India, in 1922.
The home was erected in the late 1800’s of hand-hewn, pegged timbers. It was enlarged in 1927 by F.M. Britton, a pioneer minister, then occupied in 1941 by the Turner Family, upon their return from India, until August 1984.
Adjacent to this propery is the site of the No. 2 Hotel. South of this site stood Hotel No. 1, and the Skating Rink, all of the original Franklin Springs resort properties purchased by the church in 1919, and on which Emmanuel College now stands.