Choose another Topic

Franklin County Historical Markers

Franklin County


  • Source: Ed Jackson
  • Marker: Franklin County
  • Location: Franklin County Courthouse, Carnesville

FRANKLIN COUNTY

This County, created by Act of the Legislature

Feb. 25, 1784, is named for Benjamin Franklin,

Revolutionary patriot and statesman. It

was formed from lands obtained from the

Indians by the Treaty of Augusta, 1783. Capt.

James Terrell of the Revolution was an early

settler. Volunteers from Franklin Co. under

Capt. Morris distinguished themselves at

the Battle of Pea River Swamp, Mar. 25, 1837,

in the Creek Indian War. The present County

Site was established by Act of Nov. 29, 1806,

at Carnesville named for Thomas B. Carnes,

member of the Third Congress, 1793-‘97.

059-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954