Choose another Topic

Franklin County Historical Markers

Cromer’s Mill Covered Bridge


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Cromer’s Mill Covered Bridge
  • Location: Baker Rd. of Ga. 106 south of Carnesville

Cromer’s Mill Covered Bridge

The Cromers settled on Nails Creek in Franklin County in 1845. Prior to the Civil War, the family operated a woolen mill near this site. Subsequently, the area maintained a cotton gin, flour mill and saw mill, though all operations had ceased by 1943. In 1907, the county contracted with James M. Hunt to build the present 110-foot bridge. Constructed in the Town lattice design, the bridge’s web of planks crisscrossing at 45-to 60-degree angles are fastened with wooden pegs, or trunnels, at each intersection. Will Cromer, a descendant of the original family, built the stone abutments.

2000.14

Erected by The Georgia Historical Society, Georgia Department of Transportation, and the Federal Highway Administration

59-3