Old Federal Road
- Source: Steve Williams
- Marker: Old Federal Road
- Location: Ga 9 (Old US 19) at Ga 369 at Coal Mountain
OLD FEDERAL ROAD
The highway crossing east and west at this intersection is the Old Federal Road, firSt vehicular way and earliest postal route west of the Chattahoochee. Beginning to the east on the Hall-Jackson county line, it linked Georgia and Tennessee across the Cherokee Nation.
Rights to use the route were granted informally by the Indians in 18003 and formally in the 1805 Treaty of Tellico, Tennessee.
Prior to that time the trace served a a trading path from Augusta to the Cherokees of northwest Georgia and southeast Tennessee.
058-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954