Choose another Topic

Forsyth County Historical Markers

Cumming School


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Cumming School
  • Location: 101 School Street, Cumming

CUMMING SCHOOL Built 1923

Cumming School, erected in 1923 by J.W. Fleming and Jim Hughes to house students in grades 1 through 11, burned in 1927. The same contractors rebuilt the structure.

The school served all grades until 1955, when high school students transferred to a new facility. In 1961, elementary students departed, and in 1974 the remaining pupils left. The building then served as the school system administrative office until 1999, when it was purchased and later restored by the City of Cumming.

Historical Society of Forsyth County - 2006