Choose another Topic

Forsyth County Historical Markers

Cumming Historic Cemetery


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Cumming Historic Cemetery
  • Location: Resthaven St. entrance to the old cemetery on Ga. 20 (Atlanta Rd.) in Cumming

CUMMING HISTORIC CEMETERY

In 1834, Moses Whitsett was the first person buried on the property which in 1840 became the cemetery for the Baptist Church and the Presbyterian Church. In 1856, the Presbyterian Church disbanded. When the Baptist Church relocated, the cemetery became the property of the City of Cumming, which is the County Seat of Forsyth. Some of Cumming’s earliest leaders are interred in the municipal cemetery. Included are William H. Ray, Aulston B. Welborn, H.L. and Almon Hutchins, E.C. McAfee, Rufus E. Guthrie, George and Thomas Willingham, Haynie S. Brooks, henry Hurt, A.C. Kennemore, Henry Lowndes Patterson and Col. Hiram Parks Bell; a lawyer, author, orator, Mason, Civil War soldier and U.S. Congressman.

HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF FORSYTH COUNTY 1957