- Source: Ed Jackson
- Marker: Floyd County
- Location: Old Floyd County Courthouse, Rome
Floyd County was created by Act of Dec. 3, 1832 out of Cherokee County. Originally, it included parts of Chattooga, Polk and Gordon Counties. Early settlers came from Tenn., S.C., and older parts of Ga. The county was named for Maj. Gen. John Floyd (1794-1829), Legislator, Congressman, Gen. of Ga. Militia, Commander of Ga. troops against the Creeks in 1813 and Commander of troops at Savannah. First officers of Floyd County, commissioned March 18, 1833, were: Andrew H. Johnston, Sheriff; Edwin G. Rogers, Clerk Superior Court; Philip W. Hemphill, Clerk Inferior Court; John Smithwicke, Surveyor; Lemuel Milligan, Coroner.
057-10 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956