Choose another Topic

Fayette County Historical Markers

Flat Rock African Methodist Episcopal Church


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Flat Rock African Methodist Episcopal Church
  • Location: 148 Old Chapel Lane, Fayetteville

Flat Rock African Methodist Episcopal Church

Today’s Flat Rock AME Church originated in 1854 as a place of worship for slaves on nearby Spears Plantation, and it is believed to be the oldest African-American congregation in Fayette County. Originally known as Rocky Mount, the church moved after the Civil War and was known for a time as Scufflefield. By 1898 the church, now called Flat Rock AME, and the adjoining cemetery were established at this location. Like many African-American churches during the era of segregated schooling, Flat Rock served both the spiritual and educational needs of the community. The congregation was also involved in the establishment of several local congregations including Little Vine Baptist Church, Edgefield Baptist Church, and Wilkes Grove.

2006.8
Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, the Fayette County Historical Society, and the Fayette Heritage Project

56-4