Choose another Topic

Evans County Historical Markers

Evans County


  • Source: Keith Hair
  • Marker: Evans County
  • Location: Evans County Courthouse, Claxton

EVANS COUNTY

This County, created by Act of the Legislature

Aug. 11, 1914, is named for Gen. Clement A. Evans,

soldier, lawyer, minister, statesman & author,

who died in 1911. He commanded Gordon’s old

division in the last charge of the Army of

Northern Virginia and surrendered under Lee

at Appomattox “with guns still hot from firing

until the last hour.” Among the first County

Officers were: Sheriff T.W. Rogers, Ordinary

W.H. Brewton, Clerk of Superior Court T.R.

Tippins, Tax Receiver A.V. Smith, Tax Collector

Daniel Sikes, Treasurer James S. Hogan and

Surveyor A.D. Eason.

054-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954