Choose another Topic

Emanuel County Historical Markers

Emanuel County


  • Marker: Emanuel County
  • Location: Located on the former Emanuel County Courthouse square, Swainsboro

EMANUEL COUNTY

This County, created by Acts of the Legis-

lature December 10, 1812 & December 6, 1813,

is named for David Emanuel, Governor in 1801,

several times a legislator, and President of

the Senate. A place 1 mile from the center

of the County was designated as County

Site in 1814 and named Swainsboro for a

prominent local family in 1822. The name was

changed to Paris in 1854 but the original

name was later revived. Among the first

County Officers were: Sheriff Josiah Whitney,

Clerk of Superior & Inferior Courts Stephen Rich

and Tax Collector & Receiver James Fitzgerald.

053-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954

[This marker was located at former courthouse square in downtown Swainsboro [removed when a public park was created on the site of the old courthouse square–current location unknown]