Gov. Heard’s Home
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Gov. Heard’s Home
- Location: Ga 72 at road to Heardmont, southeast of Middleton
GOV. HEARD’S HOME
Off this road lies the site of Heardmont, home of Governor Stephen Heard, 1740 - 1815, and “God’s Acre,” the family cemetery where he lies buried. A ten acre park surrounding the site is owned and maintained by the Stephen Heard Chapter, D.A.R. A Virginian of Irish descent, Heard came to Georgia establishing Heard’s Fort, now Washington, Ga., in 1773, and fighting with Gen. Elijah Clarke at the Battle of Kettle Creek where he was captured. As President of the Council, he was de facto Governor for a period in 1781.
After moving to Heardmont he was one of three who selected the site of Elberton.
052-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955