Two Historic Savannah River Ferries
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Two Historic Savannah River Ferries
- Location: Located at the post office on Ga. 119 in Clyo
TWO HISTORIC SAVANNAH RIVER FERRIES
On the Savannah River, near here, two historic Ferries operated in Colonial Days, linking South Carolina and the Northern overland trade paths with Georgia and the routes leading South to the Savannah and East Florida markets.
In 1739, General James Edward Oglethorpe established a ferry between his lands near the Palachocolas in South Carolina and Tuckasee King’s Bluff in Georgia, a short distance from this spot.
Some time later, another ferry was established nor far below Oglethorpe’s, linking Two Sisters Bluff in South Carolina with the bluff on Hugh Kennedy’s land near here. The latter was more convenient for travel because of the higher land at each approach.
Public roads were built from the ferries to Coosahatchie on the South Carolina side and to the River Road in Georgia.
051-13 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958