Choose another Topic

Effingham County Historical Markers

Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Normal and Industrial Institute


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Normal and Industrial Institute
  • Location: Located west of Ga 17 at Pilgrim Walking Trail at Simmons St., near the northern city limits of Guyton

Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Normal and Industrial Institute

The Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Normal and Industrial Institute for Colored Students was established here in 1880 by the Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Association. The school was established, organized, funded and staffed by African Americans. The institute offered vocational classes in subjects such as carpentry and home economics. A donated printing press led to the development of a journalism program, allowing students to produce all printed materials for the Institute and the Asssociation’s newspaper, The Pilgrim Travler. After serving the black community for over fifty years, the Institute closed in May 1936 when Effingham County built a public training school for African Americans. The Institute building was later demolished.

Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, Historic Effingham Society, Macedonia Baptist Church, and Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Association

2005.9 51-1