Choose another Topic

Effingham County Historical Markers

Effingham County


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Effingham County
  • Location: Effingham County Courthouse, Springfield

EFFINGHAM COUNTY

This is one of the eight original Counties

created by the Georgia Constitution in 1777

and is named for Lord Effingham who was an

ardent supporter of Colonial Rights. By Act

of Feb. 26, 1784, the first County Site was

located at Tuckasee-King near the Screven

Co. line. From 1787 to ‘96 the Site was at

Elberton on the North side of the Ogeechee

near Indian Bluff. The Legislature meeting

at Louisville Feb. 7, 1799 appointed five

Commissioners to lay out a new Site which

became the town of Effingham. The Site was

later moved to Springfield, incorporated in

1838.

051-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954