- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Bethany
- Location: Stillwell-Clyo Road at the northeast corner of Bethany Road
The settlement of Bethany was effected near here in 1751 by John Gerar William DeBrahm, His Majesty’s Surveyor General for the Southern District of North America. Comprised at first of 160 Germans, the group was joined 11 months later by an equal number of “Relatives and Acquaintances”. A commodious church edifice was built, also a school house and a residence for the teacher.
Bethany was in existence until the Revolution, but during that war it began to decay, and was never rebuilt.
051-7 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1988