Choose another Topic

Early County Historical Markers

Sowhatchee Elementary School


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Sowhatchee Elementary School
  • Location: Located at the Zion Free Will Baptist Church, 856 Zion Road, Blakely

SOWHATCHEE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

The school was established prior to 1879 and consolidated with Hilton School in 1925. It served as a Free Will Baptist Bible School for young ministers from 1930-1942. Reverend T. B. Mellette was the instructor and Reverend K. V. Shutes was president during that time. In 1942 the school was moved to Nashville, Tennessee, and is currently known as the F. W. Baptist Bible College. Since 1942, the school building has been used for worship, fellowship, and related community activities.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Early County Historical Society 2005