Choose another Topic

Early County Historical Markers

Coheelee Creek Covered Bridge


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Coheelee Creek Covered Bridge
  • Location: Fannie Askew Williams Park, Old River Rd., 2 miles from Hilton

COHEELEE CREEK COVERED BRIDGE

ACCORDING TO THE MAY 2, 1883 MINUTES OF THE

EARLY COUNTY BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS, A

COMMISSION WAS APPOINTED “TO INQUIRE INTO THE

PRACTICABILITY OF CONSTRUCTING A BRIDGE ACROSS

COHEELEE CREEK AT McDONALD FORD.” HOWEVER,

THE CONSTRUCTION CONTRACT WAS NOT LET

UNTIL JULY 7, 1891. COST OF LABOR AND SUPPLIES

TOTALED $490.41 WITH J.W. BAUGHMAN SERVING

AS SUPERVISOR AND W.C. SHEFFIELD, CHAIRMAN

OF THE 1891 COMMISSIONERS.

ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION AND THE EARLY COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY 1980

J.J. JAXON CO. - EUFAULA, AL.