- Source: Ed Jackson
- Marker: Douglas County
- Location: Old Douglas County Courthouse, Douglasville
This county, created by Act of the Legislature October 17, 1870, is named for Stephen A. Douglas, the “Little Giant,” a Vermonter who was Congressman from Illinois 1843 to ‘47, Senator from ‘47 to ‘61, and Democratic candidate for President in 1860 on the ticket with gov. Herschel V. Johnson, of Georgia, for Vice President. Among the first County Officers were: sheriff T.H. Sellman, Clerk of Superior Court A.L. Gorman, Ordinary Wm. Hindman, Tax Receiver Jno. M. James, Tax Collector M.D. Watkins, Treasurer C.P. Bower, Coroner S.W. Biggers and Surveyor John M. Hughey.
048-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954