Albany’s First Brick House
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Albany’s First Brick House
- Location: 516 Flint Street, Albany
ALBANY’S FIRST BRICK HOUSE
Built of brick hauled from Macon by wagon, this house was completed in 1860 by Congressman William E. (Tete) Smith for his bride, Caroline Williams Smith. The Interior trim and mahogany stair rail came from New York; the furnishings were imported from England. Flower beds were laid out in Masonic designs with statues of Minerva and Flora prominently displayed. Captain of the Albany Guards of the 4th Ga. Regt., Smith lost a leg in the Battle of King’s Schoolhouse, Virginia. Member of the Confederate Congress and, later, of the U. S. Congress, he was an able lawyer and a beloved citizen of Albany.
047-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958