The Blackshear Road
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: The Blackshear Road
- Location: US 23 in Eastman at the American Legion Post
THE BLACKSEAR ROAD
At this point the highway was originally known as the Blackshear Road. It was planned and cut out, in 1815, by Major Elijah Blackshear and a company of Georgia Volunteer Militia. This road gained fame as the alternative route used by General David Blackshear during his defense of the threatened invasion of the Southern border of Georgia in the War of 1812.