- Source: Keith Hair
- Marker: Dodge County
- Location: Dodge County Courthouse, Eastman
This County created by Act of the Legislature Oct. 26, 1870, is named for William E. Dodge, a New York lumberman who owned large areas of the forest lands and who persuaded Congress to remove taxation from “the great staple of our state.” He built and gave to the new county its first Courthouse, which was replaced in 1908. The first County Officers included: Superior Court Judge J.R. Alexander, Clerk of Superior Court Ruben A. Harrell, Sheriff Jordan Brown, Tax Collector T.P. Willcox, Tax Receiver Jno. W. Bohannon and Ordinary S.W. Burch.
045-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954