Wm. Johnston’s Mill
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Wm. Johnston’s Mill
- Location: Briarwood Rd SE of Buford Hwy at North Fork, Peachtree Creek
WM. JOHNSTON’S MILL
About .3 miles upstream N. Fork Peachtree Cr., is the site of a mill owned by Wm. Johnston (1789-1855), - a landmark of Federal military operations in the summer of 1864. Schofield’s 23d A.C., having crossed the Chattahoochee River at Isom’s Ferry July 8, began its march toward Decatur July 17 via Old Cross Keys and the House plantation. Cox’s div. camped at House’s from which point Hascall’s div. moved S. E. to Johnston’s mill where it camped night of July 18. This route was taken to enable the 23d A.C. to join McPherson’s Army of the Tennessee likewise marching to Decatur.
044-13 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1985