Wheeler’s Cav. at Decatur
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Wheeler’s Cav. at Decatur
- Location: Located at the old DeKalb County Courthouse in Decatur
WHEELER’S CAV. AT DECATUR
July 22, 1864. Coincident with Hardee’s night march to attach Federal forces in E. Atlanta, Wheeler’s cavalry [Confed.] was sent to sieze [sic] McPherson’s wagon trains parked N. of the Decatur public square, guarded by Sprague’s 16th A.C. brigade & three sections of field artillery.
Wheeler’s men, dismounted, were deployed S. of the R.R. & drove Sprague’s troops, together with the Chicago Board of Trade & Michigan batteries, [Union] to the public square where, outflanked, they withdrew with the wagon trains to the North Decatur Road.
Wheeler made no pursuit because of peremptory orders to rejoin Hardee in E. Atlanta.
044-31 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956