Untitled Stone Mountain Covered Bridge
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Untitled Stone Mountain Covered Bridge
- Location: Located at the west end of the bridge at Stone Mountain Park
“Covered bridges” or “lattice bridges” were common throughout the Eastern U.S. during the nineteenth century. This bridge formerly spanned the North Fork of the Oconee River in the city of Athens, Ga., connecting College Avenue and Hobson Avenue.
Clarke County Ordinary S. M. Herrington let a building contract 26 March, 1891, for $2,470, to W. W. King. It cost $18,000 to move the bridge from Athens, 60 miles, to this point. Bridges like this were refuge for travelers during storms, courting couples, and robbers who hid themselves on the overhead timbers and dropped down on the unsuspecting victim.