The Samuel House Plantation
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: The Samuel House Plantation
- Location: Peachtree Rd. at the intersection with Ashford-Dunwoody Rd.
THE SAMUEL HOUSE PLANTATION
The large brick residence built in 1857 by Samuel House (1798-1873) was a prominent landmark during military operations by Federal forces on the Atlanta front in July, 1864.
Cox’s division of Schofield’s 23rd A.C. reached this vicinity July 18; Schofield, in person, with the div. was here jointed by Sherman who established headquarters at the house.
Cox’s div. camped on the plantation; Hascall’s div., having traversed Cox’s line of march via Old Cross keys, turned s.W. on Peachtree Rd. to Goodwin’s, then S.E. to Johnston’s Mill on N. Fork Peachtree Creek where it camped.
044-10 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1984