The Beacon Community (Side 2)
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: The Beacon Community (Side 2)
- Location: Beacon Hill Arts Center, W. Trinity at Electric Ave, Decatur
THE BEACON COMMUNITY (Continued from other side)
The Allen Wilson Terrace Public Housing Project, constructed in 1941, was named for the first African-American school principal in Decatur. These school buildings, Lilly Hill Baptist Church, the former Trinity Presbyterian Church on Robin Street and the Allen Wilson Terrace project are the only remaining buildings dating to the early years of this neighborhood.
The Beacon Community was home to Henry Oliver, a business owner and resident who was honored in 1902 with a local street named for him. In 1983, the street name was changed to Commerce Drive and his name was given to a meeting room in the new Decatur Conference Center. It was also home to Deacon J.H. Ebster for whom Ebster park was named; Federal Court Judge Clarence Cooper and Elizabeth Wilson, Decatur’s first African-American city commissioner and mayor.