Sweeny’s March South
- Source: Charles Geiger
- Marker: Sweeny’s March South
- Location: Clay St. south of Boulevard Dr. in east Atlanta
SWEENY’S MARCH SOUTH
July 22, 1864. Sweeny’s 16th A.C. div., ordered to support the left of the Federal line in E. Atlanta, was shifted from its camp of the previous night, N. of the Georgia Railroad. It marched S. on the Clay Road (now Clay St).
These troops had been ordered to destroy the R.R. back to Decatur but McPherson requested them as reinforcement to his left, since his cavalry (Garrard’s) had been sent eastward.
Passing the Jesse Clay plantation, near this point, Sweeny’s troops moved S. to the present intersection of Memorial Drive where they halted for further instructions – at the fateful moment of Hardee’s surprise attack.
044-38 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1985