Stanley & Wood March to Durand’s Mill
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Stanley & Wood March to Durand’s Mill
- Location: Briarcliff Rd south of LaVista Road
STANLEY & WOOD MARCH TO DURAND’S MILL
July 19, 1864. When it became apparent that a wide gap existed in Federal troop deployment along Peachtree Cr. between Peachtree Rd. & this, the old Williams Mill Rd., two divs. of Howard’s 4th A. C. were sent S. E. from Buckhead to this vicinity to close the gap.
Stanley’s div. marched via the old Cheshire Bridge Rd., camping at the County Line. Wood’s div. followed Stanley the next day. Both columns moving E. on the present LaVista Road turned S. here & crossed S Fork Peachtree Cr. at Durand’s Mill - a shift of troops incident to the Federal advance on Atlanta.
GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER