Solomon Goodwin’s Res.
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Solomon Goodwin’s Res.
- Location: Peachtree Rd SW of North Druid Hills Rd intersection
SOLOMON GOODWIN’S RES.
The house on adjacent knoll, built 1831, by Solomon Goodwin (circa 1780-1850), oldest extant house in DeKalb County, was a landmark of Federal military operationS in these environs during the summer of 1864.
July 18. Hascall’s div., 23d A.C. having marched from Old Cross Keys & the Samuel House plantation, turned S.E. here to camp at Johnston’s Mill on N. Fork Peachtree Creek. Cox’s div. of the 23d followed Hascall the next day, both divisions having Decatur as their objective.
Schofield’s 23d A.C. formed the center of the Federal armies moving toward Atlanta on a wide front from the Chattahoochee River.
GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION