Site: Henderson’s Mill
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Site: Henderson’s Mill
- Location: Henderson Mill Rd between Briarcliff & Midvale Rds, S of creek
SITE: HENDERSON’S MILL
Some 300 ft N.W. stood the ante and post bellum grist mill owned and operated by Greenville Henderson (1792-1869) and his son Rufus (1823-1872). The flat, left and rt. of this road was the mill pond area; the mill was demolished, 1911.
During the march of Federal Army of the Tenn. from Roswell to Decatur, Logan’s 15th A.C. detoured from Shallow Ford Rd. at Rainey’s and moved to Browning’s Court House (TUCKER) to support Garrard’s foray on the Georgia R.R.
For strategic reasons - and lack of water at Browning’s, the corps withdrew here and camped night of July 18, 1864. Its march to Decatur was resumed the next day.
044-18 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1985