Site: Cobb’s Mill
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Site: Cobb’s Mill
- Location: 1510 Key Rd. at Intrenchment Creek Water Plant just east of Atlanta city limits
SITE: COBB’S MILL
On the e. side of Intrenchment Creek, just above the bridge, stood a grist mill operated by William Cobb, a DeKalb County pioneer. The mill was a notable landmark in the movement of Confederate forces to the field of the Battle of Atlanta, fought July 22, 1864.
Hardee’s Corps, [CSA] consisting of 4 divs., made a 15-mi. night march from Atlanta, via McDonough & Fayetteville roads, to gain the rear of McPherson’s Army of the Tenn. in E. Atlanta. Hardee’s troops reached Cobb’s Mill at dawn, where a halt was made to procure guides.
Wheeler’s Cav. [CSA] rode with the column, enroute to Decatur to seize McPherson’s wagon trains.
044-58 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956