Restoring the Line
- Source: Gary Carter
- Marker: Restoring the Line
- Location: DeKalb Ave. at Elmira Place in Atlanta
RESTORING THE LINE
July 22, 1864. After Cheatham’s troops (Confederate) broke the Federal 15th A.C. line at the R.R. cut and the Hurt house (DeGress Ave.), Mersy’s 16th A.C. brigade was brought up from the battlefield 1 mile S. of the R.R. to assist in restoring it.
Lightburn and Martin were deployed on and south of the R.R.; Mersy’s brigade north of it (near this point), with Wood’s two brigades aligned on his right, facing the left flank of the Confederate forces in the captured sector. In a concerted assault, the five brigades (Union) advanced and recovered the line, together with the four guns of the DeGress battery. This stirring action is pictured in the Cyclorama.
044-41 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1983