Old Cross Keys
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Old Cross Keys
- Location: Johnson Ferry Rd at Ashford-Dunwoody Dr
OLD CROSS KEYS
Ante-bellum crossroads settlement & Post Office; James Reeve (1792 - 1852) Post Master & merchant. Prior to 1864 the Post Office was removed to a point between Chamblee & Doraville where, name unchanged, it was known as Cross Keys Post Office.
To distinguish the one from the other, this place was called Old Cross Keys & was thus cited in Federal dispatches, maps & reports of military operations here in 1864.
At this point, a brief contact was made between the marching columns of Dodge’s 16th & Schofield’s 23d A.C. July 18, both enroute to Decatur from Chattahoochee River Crossings.
044-7 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954