- Source: Charles Geiger
- Marker: Mersy’s Brigade
- Location: Memorial Dr. at Dixie St. in Atlanta
July 22, 1864. Col. August Mersy’s brigade of Sweeny’s div., 16th A.C. [USA] was aligned on the rt. of the div. when it went into action to meet the assault of Walker’s div. [CSA] advancing up Sugar Creek valley (from Glenwood Ave.).
The left of Mersy’s line rested on the hill where Murphy High School stands. The rt. of the line extended S.w. to join Fuller’s 4th div., 16th A.C. on the high ground beyond the valley (near McPherson’s monument).
Gen. McPherson saw this part of the battlefield from the hill 3/8 mile due W. of this marker (at Memorial Dr. & East Side Ave.) enroute to his rendezvous with death.
044-50 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956