Historic Ground - 1864
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Historic Ground - 1864
- Location: McPherson Monument, McPherson and Monument Aves, in Atlanta
HISTORIC GROUND – 1864
In area bounded by Memorial Dr., Clifton, Glenwood & Moreland, was where the major part of the Battle of Atlanta was fought, July 22d.
In terms of present landmarks, the battle began at memorial Dr. & Clifton where Hardee’s right wing [CSA] was repulsed in an unexpected clash with Sweeny’s 16th A.C. div. [USA] This was followed by an assault of Hardee’s left wing which crushed the left of the 17th A.C. at Flat Shoals Road & Glenwood & dislodged the right of the 16th A.C., forcing them north to a second line at & east of Leggett’s Hill – eight hours of battle in which two major generals, Walker and McPherson, were killed.
044-68 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956