Choose another Topic

DeKalb County Historical Markers

Hardee’s March Turned N.E. On Fayetteville Road


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Hardee’s March Turned N.E. On Fayetteville Road
  • Location: Fayetteville Rd at Fleetwood Dr, near Moreland Ave

HARDEE’S MARCH TURNED N.E. ON FAYETTEVILLE ROAD

July 21, 1864. These troops and Wheeler’s Cav. [CSA] were sent from Atlanta on a 15 - mile night march to gain the rear of McPherson’s Army of the Tenn. [USA] in E. Atlanta. Hardee moved out of the city via McDonough Rd. (Capitol Avenue) and here turned N. E. on the old Fayetteville Rd.

July 22. Dawn found the columns a little beyond Cobb’s Mill on Intrenchment Cr., 1.25 mi. N. E. of here. Plans called for a daylight attack on the Federal forces, but oppressive weather, battle fatigue and a grueling march, delayed the movement until noon, at which time the battle of Atlanta began.

044-59 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1984