Choose another Topic

DeKalb County Historical Markers

Georgia Railway and Power Company Trolley Waiting Station


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Georgia Railway and Power Company Trolley Waiting Station
  • Location: Ponce de Leon Ave at East Lake Dr, Atlanta

Georgia Railway and Power Company Trolley Waiting Station

The Georgia Railway and Power Company, predecessor of Georgia Power, built this trolley waiting station in 1923. The waiting station served Druid Hills residential development when the streetcar line on Ponce de Leon Avenue was extended from downtown to East Lake Drive. The functional design was a common one shared by the electric company’s waiting stations along city streetcar routes. This structure is the power company’s only original waiting station remaining in Atlanta. Buses replaced the streetcars that once stopped here for passengers, and the tracks were removed.

2002.1
Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, Georgia Power Company, Druid Hills Garden Club, DeKalb Historical Society, and Fernbank Museum of Natural History

44-1