Garrard’s Cavalry at Stone Mtn. Depot
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Garrard’s Cavalry at Stone Mtn. Depot
- Location: Located at north end of the old depot on Main Street (at Mason Ave)
GARRARD’S CAVALRY AT STONE MTN. DEPOT
July 18, 1864. Garrard’s cavalry division and Lightburn’s 15 A.C. [US] brigade moved from Browning’s Court House (TUCKER), to this vicinity and destroyed 2 miles of Ga. R.R. track, several culverts, & the water tank.
July 19, Long’s and Miller’s brigades, Garrard’s cav. again struck the R.R. & destroyed quartermaster & commissary stores, 200 bales of cotton & additional trackage.
Dilbrell’s brigade, Kelly’s div., Wheeler’s cav. corps made all possible defense efforts, both days, to prevent the destruction of Atlanta’s eastern line of communication.
044-16 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954