Garrard’s Cavalry at Buchanan’s
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Garrard’s Cavalry at Buchanan’s
- Location: Buford Highway at English Oak Dr, at Gwinnett County line
GARRARD’S CAVALRY AT BUCHANAN’S
J.W. Buchanan’s residence, which stood on the Old Hightower Trail, where Peachtree Road crosses, was a landmark of Federal troop movements in July, 1864.
July 17, Garrard’s cav., operating on the left of McPherson’s Army of the Tenn., crossed the Chattahoochee at McAfee’s bridge & camped that night along the headwaters of Nancy’s Creek west of Buchanan’s.
Logan’s 15th A.C. on Garrard’s rt. camped along the Cr., having reached there from Roswell on the old Shallow Ford Rd. The objective of these troops - the destruction of the Ga. R.R.
044-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1984