Federal Left Wing to Decatur
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Federal Left Wing to Decatur
- Location: Lawrenceville Hwy (US 29) at Montreal Rd.
FEDERAL LEFT WING TO DECATUR
July 19, 1864. The 15th & 17th, two of three corps, McPherson’s Army of the Tenn., forming the left wing of Sherman’s forces advancing on Atlanta, came this way on the last day of their march from Roswell to Decatur.
The other corps, Dodge’s 16th, reached Decatur via Shallow Ford & Clairmont rds. W. of here.
This wide swing to the S.E. from Roswell was for the purpose of destroying the Ga. R.R. between Stone Mtn. & Decatur, in which Garrard’s cav. div., on McPherson’s left, was most active. McPherson’s troops were the ones assailed by Hood’s forces in E. Atlanta, July 22.
044-22 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954