Dodge’s 16th A.C. Camp On Nancy’s Creek
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Dodge’s 16th A.C. Camp On Nancy’s Creek
- Location: Ashford-Dunwoody Rd. south of Nancy Creek near Marist School
DODGE’S 16TH A.C. CAMP ON NANCY’S CREEK
July 17, 1864. The march of the corps S. from the road-fork at Providence Church (Dunwoody) was opposed by Col. Geo. G. Dibrell’s brigade of Wheeler’s cav. [CSA]. After a sharp skirmish, the 9th Illinois Mounted Infantry drove Dibrell across the creek and beyond Old Cross Keys. Dodge made contact with Cox’s div., 23d A.C. approaching Old Cross Keys on rd. from Sandy Springs, also with Blair’s 17th A.C. at Shallow Ford Road 2 mi. upstream, after which Dodge camped at night on both sides of the creek. Dodge’s column thus maintained contact between left and center of the Federal forces.
044-5 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1987