Closing the Gap
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Closing the Gap
- Location: Briarcliff Road at University Drive
CLOSING THE GAP
July 20, 1864. A critical factor in the alignment of Federal troops moving on Atlanta, from Peachtree Creek valley, was a wide gap between Peachtree Rd. (the left of Thomas’ forces) & Schofield’s 23d A.C. posted at the intersection of N. Decatur & Briarcliff roads.
To fill this gap, Stanley’s & Wood’s 4th A.C. divs. were moved S.E. from Buckhead. Crossing S. Fork Peachtree Cr. at Durand’s Mill, Wood’s div. was deployed W. on Rock Spring Rd.; Stanley’s, in the valley W. of here & Schofield’s 23d A.C. prolonged Stanley’s line southward.
Sherman directed placement of these troops from his h’dq’rs at the crossroads July 20, 21.
GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION