Choose another Topic

DeKalb County Historical Markers

Cleburne Outflanked Left Wing, 17TH A.C.


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Cleburne Outflanked Left Wing, 17TH A.C.
  • Location: Haas Ave. north of Glenwood Ave. in Atlanta

CLEBURNE OUTFLANKED LEFT WING, 17TH A.C.

July 22, 1864. The left wing (Giles Smith’s div., 17th A.C.) of McPherson’s Army of the Tenn. [USA] occupied an intrenched line on Flat Shoals Rd. between Leggett’s Hill & Glenwood, where it hooked eastward, facing to the south.

Gen. P.R. Cleburne’s three brigades, [CSA] Lowrey’s, Govan’s & Smith’s (Granbury’s), struck the Federal flank at the hook, sweeping it aside by front & rear attacks, that with Maney’s div. in support, finally drove the entire Federal division north to Leggett’s Hill. During this rear attack Gen. McPherson was killed by skirmishers of Smith’s Texas brigade.

044-64 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956