4th A.C. at Durand’s Mill
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: 4th A.C. at Durand’s Mill
- Location: Briarcliff Rd at Old Briarcliff Rd
4TH A.C. AT DURAND’S MILL
July 19, 1864. In deployment of Federal forces approaching Atlanta, it became necessary to fill a gap between those on Peachtree Rd. at the creek & Schofield’s 23d A.C. on Pea Vine Cr. at the Paden plantation (Emory University).
Sherman directed Thomas to send 2 of Howard’s 4th A.C. divs. to fill the gap. Howard, in perso,n with Stanley’s (1st) & Wood’s (3d), marched from Buckhead, via Peachtree Baptist Church to S. Fork Peachtree Creek, reaching Durand’s Mill July 20, 8:30 A.M.
The bridge had been burned by Confederate infantry. Howard’s skirmishers waded across while the bridge was being rebuilt.
GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION