Choose another Topic

Decatur County Historical Markers

The J.D. Chason Memorial Park/History


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: The J.D. Chason Memorial Park/History
  • Location: Located at the park on Donalson Street, Bainbridge

THE J.D. CHASON MEMORIAL PARK

The J.D. Chason Memorial Park stands a permanent honor in memory of Doctor J.D. Chason. Members of his immediate family graciously presented it on December 29, 1921 to the city of Bainbridge. It is an historic location and is about two acres in size. The use of it is restricted to park purposes.

THE J.D. CHASON MEMORIAL PARK HISTORY

The J.D. Chason Memorial Park is an historic location. It was here that DeSoto and his men crossed the Flint River over three centuries ago. The El Camino Real, the King’s Highway, also crossed the grounds. Located within the Park is the site of Fort Hughes, built in 1817 by U.S. Soldiers under command of Capt. John M. McIntosh, and the grave of the first soldier, Bugler Hughes, killed in the Seminole Indian War.

[U.S. Works Progress Administration Marker]